Mission Statement and Goals
Graffiti Defense Coalition is a grassroots organization working for policy that supports street art.
Our mission is to work on behalf of street based artists to give street art and graffiti a voice to strengthen the public image of street art in hopes to usher in a new era of community tolerance and appreciation.
- Working to improve the image of street artists and raise awareness about the value of a community of public self expression.
- Advocate for public properties to be curated voluntarily and decorated with free art as opposed to tax money spent on abatement.
- Streamline and radically reduce the tax budget spent on graffiti abatement and anti-graffiti programs first in Seattle, then possibly expanding.
- Cultivate relationships with with representatives locally and abroad with the aim to build a constituency for street art legitimacy.
- Organize willing volunteers to form graffiti abatement crews which will service residential customers and clean nuisance graffiti for them for free (taking donations of course). Customers would be given Graffiti Defense Coalition literature informing them about positive street art culture, and our 100% free graffiti abatement service staffed by pro street art volunteers.
- Abolish the graffiti nuisance act which does nothing but harm totally unrelated private property owners.
- Evaluate the need for a full time police detective dedicated to graffiti, and the impact that is having on public safety.